My blog is in the plural.

In looking around at Babelhut.com, I discovered that my blog isn’t the only one entitled “Language Geek.” Indeed, on Babelhut’s blogroll, I’m “Language Geek 2,” logically appearing right after “Language Geek 1.” As I rightly should be, by the way; looking at Language Geek’s archives (the other Language Geek’s archives, not mine!), it appears they’ve been at language blogging since 2005. Drat. That makes me the name thief (even though it wasn’t intentional). And here I was, thinking I was the only one who (proudly) called himself a “language geek.” Oops.

Now I’m wondering whether I should change the title of my blog. What do you folks think? I don’t really want to, because I’ve obviously already bought the domain name, languagegeek.net. On the other hand, I hate to be called Language Geek 2 (or cause someone else to be called Language Geek 1!)

I suppose a subdomain or a simple addon folder (languagegeek.net/namethief) would be fine.

Suggestions?

By | 2007-11-05T00:10:57+00:00 November 5th, 2007|Language Geek Site Updates|7 Comments

1. thomas (babelhut.com) November 5, 2007 at 6:18 pm - Reply

The only reason you got the #2 instead of the #1 on my blogroll is because the other language geek happened to be on my blogroll before you. 🙂 I wanted the make the names different so that people would realize that those are indeed two different sites.

I don’t think you should change the url, since all your readers would have to update bookmarks, and links to you might get broken.

You could change your blog title somehow though. Instead of “Language Geek” you could turn it into “I Am A Language Geek”, “Language Geekery” or something similar that has Language Geek in it, but would distinguish you from the other one in blogrolls. And of course you could keep the same domain.

2. LaGeek November 6, 2007 at 12:40 pm - Reply

I am Language Geek #1, and I am a language addict. 🙂

Actually there was another language geek out there before me (languagegeek.com) – Language Geek #0?

The more language geeks the better, I say. Языковые гики мира, соединяйтесь!

3. fey November 10, 2007 at 7:45 am - Reply

that’s funny. at dragonfruit.com you’re the language geek (1) and the other language geek is language geek (2)…. 😉

4. koutomo November 12, 2007 at 7:49 am - Reply

maybe languagegeek.net?

5. GeoffB November 16, 2007 at 12:45 am - Reply

I think the internet is big enough for multiple language geeks. I’d stick with the name. (And I’m not just saying that because I don’t want to update my sidebar again!)

Geoff
    Confessions of a Language Addict

6. Josh November 19, 2007 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Thomas: Fair enough. 🙂 I’ll keep the URL.

LaGeek: Yeah, I’d forgotten (or missed) languagegeek.com. So I suppose we’re both name thieves, eh?

fey: dragonfruit.com is just a parked domain; I think you mean dragonfruit.wordpress.com.

koutomo: That’d be simple enough, yes. I’ll think about it.

GeoffB: Yeah, I know it’s big enough, I just didn’t want to step on any toes.

7. crifene December 26, 2010 at 6:20 am - Reply

Я была в отношениях с молоденьким человеком, всё было хорошо, но потом из за моей каждый деньй ревности мы растались, он был инициатором разрыва, я его безумно люблю и пыталась вернуть, но никак.