So, you want to learn Russian from Princeton? (For free?)

Not a problem!

I don’t know what the deal is, but all of the Princeton material for their Russian courses is available from their site for free. For each lesson, there is a PDF file with a dialogue, vocabulary, and grammar explanations. Also for each lesson, there are MP3 files with the dialogues performed by native speakers.

For Slavic 105, it looks like there are around 120 lessons.

I’m not sure what Slavic 207 is about. There aren’t any PDF files, just MP3s, many of which are Russian music. Perhaps 207 is a Slavic culture class, and it is assumed that the student will already know Russian to a fair extent.

All in all, the coursework available comes to around 2 gigabytes. If you’d like to download it, you can use HTTrack Website Copier to copy all of it to your hard drive, while retaining the folder structure. That way you won’t have to spend the next 3 weeks of your life clicking back and forth in Firefox, saving one file at a time. πŸ™‚

Oh, by the way. Did you really think I’d write all of this out and then not give you the link to the coursework? If you thought no, you’re right. Here’s your link. πŸ™‚

By | 2007-04-28T17:40:28+00:00 April 28th, 2007|Language Learning|13 Comments

1. […] a few times, and then try to go through the dialogue without reading the text. Now that I have a ton of audio to work with, I’ll listen to a dialogue, shadowing the speech. After doing that some, […]

2. […] 3rd, 2007 · No Comments I blogged at Language Geek a few days ago about a huge amount of Russian language learning material that is available for free from the […]

3. Amber Barbara Kelley August 31, 2007 at 10:14 pm - Reply

I have been using Slavic 101 to study & learn the Russian language but the url now says not at this server. Can you share with me where Slavic 101 & Slavic 105 are now located?

– In the folder for Slavic 101, it appears there’s 84 lessons, within 12 chapters. There is also a story in Russian, which apparently is worked on throughout the course. It comes complete with grammar and vocabulary information.

4. Josh September 1, 2007 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Amber: Sadly, it appears that Princeton has removed their Russian materials. It disappeared once before in the past and then returned, so hopefully it’ll pop up again.

5. […] posted previously about the wonderful Russian courses available for free from Princeton. They have, however, recently […]

6. Steve Kaufmann October 18, 2007 at 3:21 pm - Reply

I saw these resources and they are simply too simple and traditional. You can also learn Russian for free elsewhere but I guess I am not supposed to say where.

7. Josh October 18, 2007 at 8:16 pm - Reply

@Steve: Indeed, I’d rather you not start using my comments as a place to spread the word about your wares.

8. Harold October 23, 2007 at 10:34 am - Reply

Hi,

the princeton course is now available as a big zip archive from freelanguagecourses.com:

http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/language/russian/princeto n-russian-course-51/

Harold

9. Josh October 26, 2007 at 8:15 am - Reply

Thanks Harold!

10. surchatm July 7, 2014 at 2:26 am - Reply

You can follow an online version of the Princeton course here (with intonations in red and audio) :

• Josh October 2, 2014 at 9:43 am - Reply

Thanks for the heads up, surchatm!

11. mark March 6, 2016 at 9:02 am - Reply

Hi! Today (March 2016) it’s also available at http://cytrussian.tuxfamily.org/ (or http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/cytrussian/)

Cheers πŸ˜‰

• Josh March 7, 2016 at 10:35 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing this!